Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Top Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't


It's Top Ten Tuesday time! I am linking up for the meme over at The Broke and the Bookish again this week. This week is a prompt that I am sure we all have plenty of books to include. Not to say that there have been a ton of books I have not liked, but sometimes I struggle to get through books if they get too slow or I'm not thrilled with where the story is going. However, I hate to put down a book completely, so I do try to get through them completely in hopes that it will change and I will be satisfied with the ending. Still, there are some books that have been difficult to finish, so here are the top ten books I almost put down but didn't.

1. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer 
This was when I was definitely in my Twilight phase (you know, when every other teenage girl and everyone else in the world was reading the books....well, maybe not. I read them before the movies came out, but I'm sure a lot of my fellow book bloggers did the same!). This book made me angry. You know, the part where Edward leaves? Yeah, I remember being in the car with my mom and telling her I was done with the series. Obviously that wasn't the truth, though.

2. Allegiant by Veronica Roth
I wanted to put this one down for a very different reason, and I'm sure a lot of you know why. My friend, not knowing I had plans to read the series once I realized there was going to be a movie (yeah, I was THAT person this time), told me what happened at the end. Since I knew, it was a bit difficult to get through the book. If you've read it, and love the series as much as I do, I am sure that you completely understand this feeling.

3. The Secret Diamond Sisters by Michelle Madow 
I actually did put this one down for awhile. While I thought I was going to like it since I'm usually a fan of realistic fiction and contemporary, I just didn't. There were just too many characters to keep up with, and all of their different drama. I wanted it to be a light read, but it did not turn out to be that.

4. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Yup, I finished out the series, but a part of me doesn't really know why I bothered. I liked the majority of the series, until the very end. I was waiting for something, anything to happen, but nope. I won't go into detail due to spoilers, but I just was not happy with how the whole thing went down, and I closed the book in frustration several times.

5. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
This was one of those books that I had to read in school for class. You know, when you're told something is a required reading, it automatically makes you want to read it less. Is that just me?  Anyway, I only picked this up in class when I had to, and I did not like it at all. I still do not like it at all, in fact.

6. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins 
Now, don't hate me just yet. I wanted to like this book, I desperately did. It took me about a year to get through the first book in the series. I put it down for awhile and came back to it since I had trouble getting through it. Then I flew through Catching Fire though; I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, Mockingjay was a disappointment for me after that, and I found myself putting it aside and sometimes only forcing myself to pick it up again.

7. Enclave by Ann Aguirre 
I began reading this book based on a strong recommendation from a close friend who is also an avid reader, so I was sure that I was going to love it. I did not though. Not. At. All. I am just not into the zombie thing, I guess, and there were just some things about this book that rubbed me the wrong way. Still, I finished it because my friend liked it so much. I gave up book two fifty pages in.

8. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 
As I mentioned above with Mockingjay, this book was not an easy one for me to get through. While everyone else was raving about The Hunger Games, I just could not get into the first book no matter how much I tried. At the beginning of this year I finally forced myself to go back and actually read it. Luckily by the end I was pleasantly surprised with it.

9. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert 
This book was just EH for me. I read it for an online book club who thought it would be the perfect book to read. I didn't think it was perfect at all; I was bored.

10. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
This was another one that I was forced to read in school, and I believe it was middle school when I was finding my love for reading. This genre was definitely not the one I was in love with, and I doubt I will ever read this one again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs