Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Review: The Deeper We Get by Jessica Gibson

The Deeper We Get
by Jessica Gibson

Category: New Adult
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publication Date: July 2014
Format: E-Book
Source: Review copy via Mark my Words Book Publicity

Goodreads Synopsis:  
Chad Langer was always running. Running from his past, afraid of letting himself be happy and free. College was going to be his new start. New city, new school, new people.
Scarlett would be his undoing. He knew it the moment he saw her. Something in her eyes called to him. She was just as broken as he was.
Sometimes the past doesn’t stay in the past. Will they be able to overcome the obstacles set in their path?


GOODREADS. AMAZON

Review: At the very start of my blogging career (so a few months ago) I was given the honor of reading the first book in this series, The Harder I Fall. It was my first real New Adult read, when I was still trying to figure out this new genre (new to me, at least). I was thrilled with the book and the characters that were revealed, and I really did like the character of Chad in that book, though we did not get to see too much of him. The focus was on his sister, after all. It was exciting to get a second book in the series, even though it is certainly much more of a companion novel and could be a standalone. Sometimes these are the best kind of series, though. You have the same feel, but you get to meet new characters. I really enjoyed this book, but I think that I would enjoy anything Jessica Gibson writes. I really, really enjoy her writing style. 

From the very beginning, I felt for Chad and just wanted him to succeed with what he wanted and be happy. Having gone through childhood abuse at the hand of his father who is about to be released form prison, it is obvious that he still carries scars from that part of his life. It's also something that holds him back quite a bit in life, like once he meets Scarlett as he has gone off to school in California. 

I do love how conflicted Chad was as a character. He could be so honest about some things, always assuring Scarlett he would not be a good boyfriend, but then he would flat out lie to her about other things. It was frustrating, but I like that in a character. After everything he had been through, it would not make sense for anything between them to be easy. Along with that, Scarlett has faced abuse as well, so they both can understand each other on that level, and the trusting is a bit lacking because of it. 

I just loved the many dimensions of the main character. Despite everything his father did and put him through as a child, he really did want the man to get help. Of course, we all must learn at some point that we cannot help someone who does not truly want to help themselves. Chad went through a lot of hard, tough things throughout the book, and I do feel like it made him stronger as a person. Throughout the book the reader is able to see him grow and change, and I think that is very important in a story such as this. 

Overall, while I did not love this book as much as the first (that would be very, very difficult), I did enjoy it very much. The characters were well developed and I felt deeply for them. Throw in Gibson's amazing writing, and you really cannot go wrong. I highly recommend this book for all New Adult fans. 

Rating: 4.0 / 5.0


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs