Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Review: Prom Impossible by Laura Pauling

Prom Impossible
by Laura Pauling 

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary
Publication Date: May 2014
Source: e-book for review

Goodreads Synopsis: 
1 girl + 1 prom + 3 guys = Prom Impossible!

Cassidy decides her senior year, including prom, will be about Michael Greenwood, the boy destined to be her soul mate. One problem. He hasn’t figured that out yet.

But certain events meant as innocent pranks—that weren’t completely her fault—introduce her to Zeke, the reformed bad boy. And cutting deals in the boys’ bathroom with Jasper, the hottest guy in school, lands her in a complicated web of half-truths that spirals out of control.

At the end of the year, she’s dateless the day before the big night but risks a lot more than her pride if she can’t find a way to fix her mistakes.

PROM IMPOSSIBLE is a modern-day Shakespearean romantic comedy in the world of teens, true love, and life


GOODREADS . AMAZON 

Review: When I first saw this book and read the synopsis, I was thrilled! I mean, look at that cover! Clearly a YA book since it's about prom, we have a girl in a cute pink dress, and obviously three boys in the background. Perhaps part of my problem was that I had expectations that were too high for this book, and so it would have been pretty difficult for it to meet those standards. I really, really wanted to love this book, but I did not. Instead, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it. Some parts I really enjoyed, and some I did not like at all. I guess that's just how some books are, though. 

First of all, I really could not cheer for the main character. I really wanted to, but I just could not find it in myself to cheer for a character like this. We start the book by knowing she has gotten into trouble for pulling a prank and ruining prom the year before, but now her whole focus is on having the perfect senior prom herself. I found this so incredibly selfish, that almost right away I was pretty annoyed with Cassidy. She did not seem to care about any other people, but wanted everything to work out perfectly for herself. 

As for the guys, I felt pretty bad for all of them for being brought into the craziness that has become Cassidy's life. Not only does she only care about herself, but she does not seem to care about any of these guys as she attempts to get her perfect prom. She's after Michael, but then runs into bad boy Zeke during the summer program yet acts like she doesn't really know him at school, and then causes Jasper to earn horrible grades in class, and he's still appreciative of it. None of it made any sense to me at all! 

I was so annoyed that Cassidy seemed to get away with everything she wanted to do without having many consequences, either. First of all, she doesn't even respect her own parents enough to do things that they ask or follow the rules they set in place for her. The whole book she's cheating, breaking rules, stealing things. I just don't understand how she can do all of these things and be okay with herself, and that no one does anything about it. It was ridiculous! 

The one highlight is that I did like the guys in the novel, far more than I liked Cassidy. They all seemed like they could be pretty great, though I do wish that I could have gotten more of their backgrounds. I wanted to cheer for them, but it was a bit difficult when I did not know most of their stories as they were just thrown into the novel to be another piece of the things that Cassidy messes up. 

Ultimately, I did enjoy reading this book. It was a quick read and had several parts that were very entertaining. Unfortunately, the plot and events were a bit all over the place. I feel like it could have been handled much better, and I was hoping for a lot more. It's certainly not the worst contemporary I have read, but I would have made some serious improvements. Despite that, I think that it was a good concept, and other people may enjoy it more than I did.

Rating: 3.0 / 5.0 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs