Saturday, November 22, 2014

Stacking the Shelves [28]

I am joining in on Stacking The Shelves, a weekly meme hosted over at Tynga's Reviews. It is an easy way to share what books you picked up that week, and to see what other people have picked up to read themselves.

How to Participate?
  • Create your own Stacking The Shelves post. You can use my official graphic or your own, but please link back to Tynga’s Reviews so more people can join the fun!
  • You can set your post any way you want, simple book list, covers, pictures, vlog, sky is the limit!
  • I am posting Stacking The Shelves on Saturdays, but feel free to post yours any day that fits you.
  • Visit Tynga’s Reviews on Saturday and add your link so others can visit you!

THIS WEEK:

Last week Half Price Books had some great sales going on. Friday and Saturday you could get 30% off your highest prices item and on Sunday you could get 50% off your highest priced item. I picked up one book Saturday and one on Sunday, and am very happy with what I was able to pick up at much better prices.

 Yes Please by Amy Poehler 

In Amy Poehler’s highly anticipated first book, Yes Please, she offers up a big juicy stew of personal stories, funny bits on sex and love and friendship and parenthood and real life advice (some useful, some not so much), like when to be funny and when to be serious. Powered by Amy’s charming and hilarious, biting yet wise voice, Yes Please is a book is full of words to live by.

 I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban 
by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb

I come from a country that was created at midnight. When I almost died it was just after midday.

When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive.

Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I Am Malala is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.

I Am Malala will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world.

I have been in a HUGE memoir/autobiography kick lately. I read Positive by Paige Rawl a few weeks ago, and then read The Boy on the Wooden Box by Leon Leyson this week, and loved both of them. I look forward to reading these two as well. What did you add to your shelves this week?   

3 comments:

  1. OOoh nice! Those are new to me reads! Hope you enjoy them both!

    My STS will be up tomorrow so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read that many Autobiographies, only a few, ever, I think, haha. :) Happy reading!

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read a lot of non-fiction books but I did win a copy of Malala's book last week and actually want to read it soon so it'll be good to see what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs